Sunday, February 17, 2008

Forgive me for I hath sinned

I think that I should go back to confession. Seriously, I should. This weekend I supported the one team in the Super14 log that no black person can actually support without feeling like they are betraying their nation. I. Supported. The Blue Bulls.
Now before you roll your eyes and exclaim that they are an excellent team, listen to me. I have nothing against the type of the rugby these guys play, heck it's the type that I like: less kicking and more passing and playing the forwards. And in all honesty South Africa does provide some of the biggest brothers (broers if you like) in what I call the "beauutiful game". But the Blue Bulls?
Let's not forget that they were at the centre of race scandals when that one dude went and said that he wouldn't share lodgings with a black dude during the Springbok tour of England some time ago. Then there's the fact that if you're black and dressed as a Sharks supporter anywhere near Loftus you will get your ass handed to you on a silver platter with baboetjie on the side.
I guess we have reached the crux of the matter. I am a Sharks man in Gauteng. Probably one of the hardest feats to carry out beside being an avid rugby supporter and being black.
The only reason why I wanted the Blue Bulls to win anyways is because something inside of me is praying for a Bulls/Sharks final where the Sharks will give the Bulls a good rodgering and hoist the cup at the end of the match to drink some hard earned beer out of it.
But now that all the best Ozzie and Kiwie players are back that dream is fast fading away. So I'll have to support the Bulls just so that there is at least a South African team in the final.
Here's to another 50 Hail Marys.

No comments: